1. Instagram Reels
Instagram Reels is a content format that allows you to create and share short engaging videos of up to 60 seconds long. Reels can include multiple video clips, filters, captions, interactive backgrounds, stickers, and more.
Reels can be featured in Explore and shared to Stories. When you upload a Reel, you can also choose to post it to your Feed. All the Reels you create will also appear in a dedicated section of your profile, similar to IGTV posts
How to create an Instagram Reel
Instagram Reels gives you two options to create a Reel:
- Press and hold the record button to capture footage.
- Upload video footage from your camera roll.
Instagram Reel dimensions
If you’re creating Reels on the go and recording your video footage using the Reels camera, you don’t have to worry about file size. However, if your Reels include uploaded footage, make sure your files are the correct size and dimension to avoid a blurry and awkwardly cropped end product.
Like Stories, Reels are a mobile-first format, designed to take up a full vertical screen. The recommended aspect ratio for Reels is 9:16 and the recommended size is 1080 x 1920 pixels.
When to use Instagram Reels
- The Reels feature is great for getting your content in front of a new audience. High-performing Reels content can help you attract new followers and even bring in new customers if you’re posting from a business profile.
- If you’re going to post on Reels, make sure your content is attention-grabbing and engaging. Reels viewers are looking for content that’s either entertaining, educational or a mix of both, and they’re attracted to authentic content over content that looks scripted or formal
2. Instagram stories
Instagram story dimensions are 1080px by 1920px. This means that your image or video should be 1080 pixels wide and 1920 pixels in height. This is also known as an aspect ratio of 9:16.
If you use your smartphone to take a portrait photo or video, it will perfectly fit the Instagram Story dimensions of 1080px by 1920px.
If you’re looking to add a simple photo or video to your story, all you have to do is film a vertical video or take a vertical photo with your camera or smartphone.
If you shoot an Instagram Story video using your phone, the dimensions will likely be 1080 pixels by 1920 pixels, so you don’t have to resize it. If you’re using another camera or a custom setup, however, you’ll have to use a video editing app to make sure your video has the correct dimensions.
When to use Instagram stories
- A Story video is great when your content is slightly more casual or underproduced.
- When you’re hoping to drive engagement with your current followers, as you can take advantage of other Story features like reaction emojis or polls. It offers a more interactive environment than many of the other options.
- Use stories for videos that have time-sensitive info, like a video announcing a giveaway or counting down to a new product. These types of content might feel outdated if someone came across them on your main page after the fact, so the way Stories disappear after 24 hours is a benefit.
- Use Stories to break up videos that might have met the criteria for a Post video but are longer than 60 seconds long. By cutting your full video into 10-second clips, you can post videos that hit longer than a minute and allow followers to tap through the pieces in sequence.
While Instagram limits the duration to 60 seconds for Feed videos, this feature allows you to upload up to 60 minutes of video from the web (or 15 minutes if you upload from mobile). This gives you a much better opportunity to tell engaging and compelling stories through video.
Initially debuting with only portrait videos, Instagram has since expanded the feature to allow landscape options — opening up a ton of new ways to create IGTV content.
Here are a few ideal post dimensions to keep in mind:
- Portrait IGTV: 1080 x 1920 pixels, 9:16 aspect ratio
- Landscape IGTV: 1920 x 1080 pixels, 16:9 aspect ratio
- IGTV cover photo: 420 x 654 pixels, 1:1.55 aspect ratio
When to Use IGTV
- IGTV is especially useful for content that is educational, like how-to videos or product demonstrations. On IGTV, you have a captive audience that typically knows they’re about to watch something that’s a little more in-depth than the other options on this list, so you can get away with content that’s slightly more of a time and attention investment.
- If you have a video that’s over 3 minutes long that would be difficult to parse into stories, IGTV is great. If you have content that might be suited for Reels but is a little more produced and formal looking, IGTV is a great alternative
4. Instagram Live
Instagram Live lets users stream live videos to their followers through Instagram Stories. It’s great for connecting directly with your audience.
Hold the phone vertically
When to use Instagram Live
When promoting a product or a service, going live is a great way to do a demo or a tutorial for your followers so they can see everything first hand and in real-time.
- When you have a limited time offer on something you’re currently promoting. Let your followers know (and create excitement!) by doing a live announcement.
- Do a live Q&A so you can give immediate answers directly to people who have questions, which in turn could influence someone to make a quicker decision about your brand, product, or service.
5. Facebook Live
For Facebook live, hold your phone horizontally.
When to use Facebook Live
- When you want to connect with your audience in the most genuine, human way possible
- When you want To Answer Questions in Real-Time
- When you want To Showcase an Event to People Who Couldn’t Attend In Real Life
- When you want To Share Industry-Related Updates
- When you want to Show Off Your Company Culture
6. YouTube Live
YouTube – Hold your phone horizontally when going live.
When to use YouTube live
- When you want to bring viewers together in real-time to learn, discuss and to form new social communities.
7. LinkedIn Live
LinkedIn Live allows you to build deeper connections and drive more engagement with the world’s largest professional community.
- Width and height: 1080 pixels x 1920 pixels
- Image ratio: 9:16
When to use LinkedIn Live
- Showcase and sell your products and services on LinkedIn live
- When you want to establish your company as a thought leader on LinkedIn live
|Social media||Feature||Dimension||Length||How to||Phone position||When to use|
|Reels||1080 x 1920 px||60 sec||
|Stories||1080 x 1920 px||15 sec||
|IGTV||1080 x 1920 px or 1920 x 1080 px||60 min-web & 15 min-mobile||Vertical or horizontal||
|IG Live||1080 x 1920 px||
|Fb live||1920x 1080px||
|LI live||1080 x 1920 px||