If there is one thing we can guarantee for 2021, it’s that video is NOT going anywhere.
If anything, video marketing is likely to get bigger and more widely used. The numbers agree.
93% of marketers who use video say that it’s an important part of their marketing strategy, according to Wyzowl’s State of Video Marketing Survey. Google’s data shows that people prefer video over live TV. Over 70% of the global population is slated to have mobile connectivity by 2023 according to Cisco, so the numbers will keep growing.
With this in mind, what are some best practices you can adopt for your video marketing strategy? Read on.
The Basics Of Video Marketing
With video platforms and techniques increasing daily, video marketing can feel overwhelming. Like something to aspire to, but difficult to work on. If you’ve been getting bogged down with overwhelm, here are some questions to simplify the process.
- What matters to your target audience? Think about your ideal customer as you ask yourself these questions: Would I stop scrolling on my feed to watch this video? What need does this address? What emotion comes up for me as I watch this? Do I actually care about this story? Why would I finish watching and share this?
- What is the goal of the video? What do you want your audience to think/feel/do after watching the video? Whether you want to introduce a new product or connect with customers, video is the most effective way to inspire and engage your audience. Seek to create stories that spark action.
- What platform works best for your video? There two key things that determine what platform works best: your purpose and where your audience is. Keep in mind that social is inherently mobile now. Most videos will be viewed vertically on a mobile platform.
What to Use When and Where?!
There are 4 main formats of video that run across all the platforms: Stories, In-Feed, Shows, and Immersive experiences. Keep these in mind as you create videos.
Pro Tip: The same video can be given new life by adapting it for a different platform.
Social Video Specs
As we’ve seen above, the options for social video are almost endless. While a wide variety is generally great, it can get confusing fast. Sproutsocial keeps an updated social video specs guide. We recommend bookmarking this for easy reference.
Best-Practices For Video Marketing In 2021
With the technical bits out of the way, we can drill down on the roadmap for 2021. Here are our recommended best-practices for video marketing this year:
- Hook ‘em quickly. Attention is a precious commodity. With fast scrolling, and social timelines being refreshed every few seconds, it is crucial to hook your audience in the first 5 seconds.
- Tell a story. Storytelling is a powerful tool that connects us, helps us relate and make meaning. Let storytelling drive your video strategy this 2021.
- Keep it captioned. Most videos are auto-played on silent. It’s important to make sure your video works even with the sound off. If there’s any voiceover in your video, ensure that it’s captioned.
- Try something new. Instagram Reels or Tik tok videos? Mix things up. Try different content formats and outreach channels to keep your audience interested.
- Keep testing, keep learning. The most important element of a strategy is what it teaches you. Take the time to evaluate analytics to see what’s working for you and what’s not.
Work With Us
Now you are equipped to rock your video marketing in 2021. If you are not adequately resourced to handle your own video marketing, Reactionpower can help. As part of your digital marketing strategy, we can craft a storytelling-driven video marketing solution for you.